Introduction to the AWS Cloud Service
An LG Network’s insight into the world of cloud computing and cloud-based resources from Amazon’s AWS.
Started in 2006, AWS had correctly predicted the forthcoming of a new type of global cloud computing market in the future. The research that they did into perfecting their product by the time this industry matured allowed them absolute control over the cloud market-more than any of their competition combined.
“Public cloud services are expected to grow at 19.4% CAGR from a $70B to $141B by 2019”. -Forbes list
“2019, more than 30 percent of 100 largest vendors’ software investments will have shifted from cloud first to cloud only”. -Gartner
There’s something special about AWS which separates them from the rest and we’re here to know what!
AWS is an Amazon subsidiary which was designed to provide Cloud-based services at extremely affordable rates to its users. AWS is designed for professionals who want to use the power of Cloud computing for Solutions, Architecture, Engineer and Develop APPs on the cloud.
Cloud computing on AWS and its related services can be broadly categorized into 3 formats:
- SaaS (Software as a Service): This allows companies to use the software without purchasing it, thus reducing expenditure and saving time.
- PaaS (Platform as a Service): This acts as a platform for developers so that they can use the service, experiment, build projects without purchasing or maintaining hardware.
- IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service): The best example for IaaS would be a company that’s renting storage servers from a cloud provider.
Every AWS user has their own requirements for using AWS in their organization. Let’s take a more detailed look at what AWS can offer to its users.
Compute: Processing data on a Cloud by making use of supercomputers capable of serving multiple instances can be classified as Compute.
AWS Compute Services.
- EC2: this is a web service that is capable of providing custom sized compute capability in the cloud. Specifically designed to provide a scalable web-based computing environment for developers.
- AWS Elastic Beanstalk: This service is designed for quick deployment and management without letting you worry about the infrastructure.
- AWS Elastic Load Balancing: ELB works by managing the workload on your computer instances and distributing them to other instances as a failsafe in-case of an instance failure.
- The AWS Lambda: Specifically used to execute backend code without the worry of the underlying architecture. Just upload and run – Simple as that.
- AWS Auto scaling: This service is specifically used to scale instance specifications automatically without user intervention. Imagine the design possibilities for something like this.
Storage: Data Storage services for storing data, caching data nearest to the user for lower latencies.
- S3 AWS: S3 is for simple storage service, this is used to store data as objects in the cloud.
- Amazon CloudFront: This is a content delivery network which is used to cache data thus reducing latency.
- Amazon EBS: Elastic Block Storage from Amazon is a service in which each block acts like an independent hard drive.
- Amazon Glacier: An Archive service, Perfect for low-cost data archiving.
- AWS Import/Export Snowball: This is used for transfer of data between user’s location and AWS, the data that’s transferred is called snowball.
- AWS Storage Gateway: This is used to provide seamless integration with data security features between the software and cloud.
Database options with AWS: Used for Providing relational and non-relational database instance for AWS.
- Amazon Aurora: This relational database engine combines the speed and reliability of commercial databases with the simplicity of open source.
- Amazon RDS: This is a managed relational database service which is capable of performing routine tasks on Aurora, MySQL, MariaDB, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle and PostgreSQL.
- Amazon Dynamo DB: This fully managed is popularly used for lower latencies and scale as you go applications.
- Amazon ElastiCache: This service is designed for Cache-in environment of the Cloud.
- Amazon Redshift: A Petabyte-Scale data warehouse service for Cloud.
Networking with AWS: AWS’s own networking tools used to simplify networking within your APPS or your hardware.
- VPC AWS: Amazon’s VPC is used for launching resources in a virtual network that you define.
- AWS Direct Connect: This service helps users create a private connection between their hardware and AWS.
- Amazon Route 53: A highly scalable DNS system by AWS.
Management tools for AWS: Smart management tools to monitor and configure your resources.
- Amazon CloudWatch: A tool which is used to monitor the AWS resources and Apps that run on AWS.
- AWS CloudFormation: This helps in setting up a model of AWS resources so that you spend less time managing and more time developing.
- AWS CloudTrail: Logging service used for recording API calls to the AWS account.
- AWS Command line tool: This is a Special tool used to manage all the AWS services.
- AWS OpsWorks: Configuration management area used to configure and operate applications of all sizes.
- Trusted Advisor: This is a customized cloud monitoring tool that’s designed to analyze the AWS environment and provide insights on cost, performance, and security.
Security in AWS: Data encryption and user authentication services by AWS.
- AWS identity and Access Management (IAM): This is an AWS service that is used to control access to AWS resources.
- AWS Key Management Service: This is used to create encryption keys for data encryption. It uses Hardware Security Modules for securing the keys.
- Application Services by AWS: AWS offers services like E-mail and notification pushing.
- Amazon SES: This is a cost-effective email service from Amazon.
- Amazon SNS: A web service by AWS that works by delivering messages to endpoints.
- Amazon SQS: This is a fast, reliable and scalable message service, it can be used to transmit any volume of data.
Pricing of AWS:
Just like every other Cloud computing service provider, AWS provides a Pay per use model. There is a free tier instance option available for testers and developers for micro instances.
LG Networks has been a pioneer in providing quality server-based setup, mentoring and assistance to their clients. We can help you create, maintain and scale your AWS server.